Thursday, November 8, 2012

How do you use the Swype keyboard?

I use Swype. Let me rephrase: I love Swype. My fingers are on the narrower side, but I still have a hard time with little touchscreen keyboards, like the Android pre-loaded or any variations. According to beta.swype.com (Swype keeps its product in beta, as it improves and upgrades, though the product is ready for mainstream use), "Swype is a fast way to enter text. It lets you create a word by drawing through the letters. Put your finger on the first letter of the word and draw a path from letter to letter, lifting up after the last letter. Swype will insert spaces where necessary."

A lot of phones these days come with a version of Swype pre-loaded. Thing is, it doesn't do quite as impressive a job at understanding what you're typing as the fully upgraded one you can get from the beta website does. Go to this page and scroll down to "Register" or "Login." Then, on your phone, open up that link you'll be emailed, download, install, set the beta Swype as input method, and presto! You'll fall in love, too. I can't tell you the number of times I've convinced a doubter, letting them try the keyboard on my phone for a few seconds. It's easy and input is so much faster!

One other thing... star that email with the link, because every time a friend tries it out you'll be searching for the email to help them install it on their phones (using your link on another phone works fine). I've probably used my link over a half dozen times, between installing on my new phones and on the phones of those I've converted.

No comments: