Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How do you compete with Siri, on an Android?

Do you think it's logical that Siri, the alternative to the earlier-released Android voice command program, is considered, by popular opinion, to dominate the voice command aspect of smartphones? Odd, considering that Android's came out first and, in unbiased tests, typically is declared the winner by a small margin. Do you know why, against all odds, Siri is more widely popular than Android's Voice Actions? Because of her name -- Siri; it's fun to say. Well, allow me to explain why this, once again, backs up Android-lovers' claim that the Android smartphone is customizable to be my perfect smartphone, not Steve Job's perfect smartphone. iPhone users must call their robotic assistant Siri; that is her name. It just so happens that I would prefer to name my own voice command program. Her name is Layla. What is yours named?


Now let us compare Siri and Layla. I don't hide that I am biased toward Android (but my bias is founded in fact... I decided Android was better, and then became biased), but I do try to be fair in my comparisons. Siri is, in most points, comparable to Layla. Both can, with few errors, transcribe texts and emails, play music, call contacts, search the web, transcribe notes, open webpages, give navigation directions... and much more. When asked to navigate to a website, Layla is superior; she will pull up the site homepage, while Siri will usually pull up a search engine page with the site's links, adding an extra step. Siri also has what I would call an inferior navigation system. iPhone ironically now has access to Google Maps, but this is not what Siri uses when asked to navigate to an address, meaning no turn-by-turn directions directly from her. The navigate feature on my Android is one I've used extensively (it's especially convenient if I'm wearing non-touchscreen compatible gloves, and Layla can do the work for me), and have actually encountered no problems. Compared side-by-side with my Siri-toting friends, Layla was faster, more accurate, and found my destination without fail. Layla can also be asked to call a business that is not in my contacts, and she will track down the number, then dial it. Siri requires extra steps to get to the point of placing the call.

Get Voice Actions for Android here, if it is not yet installed on your smartphone. And don't forget to give him or her the name you think your personal assistant should have.

No comments: